Monday, July 19, 2010

Stranger #3


      Britt Brooks



I met Britt on a flight from Houston to Dallas. So he was a bit of a trapped subject.  As I took my seat I started a conversation. Lucky he was very personable and fantastic conversationalist. He stated he was headed to Dallas to seal a business deal for the company he works for M.B. Environmental, LLC

“Why not just complete the negations over the phone? I ask

“Well sometimes it’s best to look them in the eye.” He states.  

 Isn’t that true?  No matter how well technology has helped  us communicate by using video conferencing, web sites e-mail and phone calls. There is simply nothing better than personal interaction. We seem to get a much better grasp of the other person’s integrity from looking them in their eyes.  The eyes have been called the window to the soul and in my experience anyone lying to me will have trouble maintaining a connection to my gaze during the response.

He told me he grew up in out on a farm in Lynn County, Texas  which is just 30 miles or so south from where I grew up, in Lubbock Texas. We talked at length about growing up in a “dry” county but having no problem as teenagers finding ways to get alcohol.

“We knew that every farmer had a pint of whisky hidden in his tractor cab. We would steal it and leave a note saying that we would pay him back when we get reach 18.” (Which was the drinking age when we both grew up.)

“So did you ever happen to eat at a restaurant located on the corner of the cotton gin yard in Tahoka?

“That would be the Tejeda Café.  My God everyone in Lynn County knows that restaurant.”

“Isn’t it just a regular old house and the grandmother cooks, the mom washes dishes, the kids serve the tables while the Dad watches the cash register?”

“Yep that’s the place; you can’t get more authentic Mexican food than that and you get to eat it right there in their living room.”

I did a bit of research by calling the county clerk in Tahoka and she informed me that the restaurant has moved to the courthouse square in down town Tahoka but is still run by the same family and is still thought of by the town as the best Mexican food around but you won’t have a 10 year old waitress any more. (Somehow that seems a shame.)

Thanks Britt for reminding me of some great memories!

No comments:

yaz lawsuit